Lease emailed from owners broker

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFLA2009

Florida

I used a broker (that works out of his home) to find a condo to rent. I think my broker only does sales but is trying to help us rent. My question is my broker forwarded me the lease, we printed out but lease does not reflect $500.00 deposit given to our broker or that the condo is to be painted prior to move in. My broker is telling me over the phone: sure the owner will paint but does not state in lease. My broker wants this dropped off to his driveway and does not really want to review so:

Can we add these (handwritten) on printed email and sign then give to broker for a valid lease, or do these additions/changes have to be re-submitted to owners broker and typed and re signed?

Thanks

Additions to a lease are typically handwritten in and then initialed by all involved. If it's more convenient, you can also type them in on the email; same process in terms of initialing by all involved.

Gail

I don't understand your follow up question. Your $500 deposit would probably become part of the security deposit. (I hope that answers that part).

As for the agreement: What is WRITTEN DOWN IN THE LEASE is what you will be able to enforce. I hope your agent isn't trying to pocket the $500. I would handwrite BOTH the $500 and the Painting agreement in the addendum's section of the lease and return it signed and initialed.

If the Landlord disagrees you will find out right then. If they sign the lease with that attached they will be bound to it. Make sure that you indicate ON THE SIGNATURE PAGE that there is an ADDENDUM. Most times there is a place to do just that.

This is something you need to ask the broker.

Specifically ask if this is a "holding fee" (to take the rental unit off the market), the charge to the broker for finding you a place to rent or the security deposit (which you would receive back at the end of the lease minus any owed rent, owed fees or damages above normal wear and tear to the unit).

It would be important to clarify this; if, for example a "holding fee" you would not get this amount back should you change your mind on getting this place.

Gail

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! I think our agent was trying to keep the $500.00 and told us it would come off the total due but was not listed on the lease! Before I turned the signed lease in, we made handwritten changes to the lease and on the last page broke down the total and took off the $500.00 already given to our broker! He was pissed, but made the copies and told us no problem! Every page was signed & initialed with our changes. I have copies of everything and I am so very glad we did NOT just sign and leave up to the broker to look out for us! I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!

PS I have told everyone I know about this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back