Lease/Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubyred01

I have been involved in a lease/option for 3 yrs. and the landlord is trying to evict me because of late rental payment. I paid the amount of the issued notice and have a receipt that says PAID IN FULL. I still owe Sept 2009 rent and they added it to the original amount at the hearing.

Can they still evict me and do I have any recourse? They are now saying I have pot bong in house which I do not. What do I do, I have paid in $9000 to buy this house?

Yes; if you owe rent the landlord can begin the process of eviction. I've attached an easy to read article on the steps to eviction in Michigan:

http://rhol.org/csu/evictions/Michigan/MichiganSteps.htm

Most evictions for nonpayment of rent can be stopped if the tenant pays the owed rent, any late fees (as listed in the lease) and the court costs that the landlord has incurred filing for all of this. If you do this before the court hearing, make certain you have documentation that you are paid up. Or, you can bring all that you owe to the court hearing to show the judge that you will now pay all rent/fees.

Whatever you decide to do, make certain your attend any court hearing (if you've received notification that it's gotten to this stage)! Sometimes tenants pay up and then believe they don't need to show up in court; landlords have been known to lie and say the rent was not paid and get their eviction request granted.

Gail

If you paid the amount that you owed and you owe for September you need to pay for September before you get evicted and lose a great deal of money. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back