Lease Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbygal

I just received a Lease Extension from the property owner, unfortunately It is post marked 11-4-09 and my current Lease expired 10-31-09.

I was under the impression that notice of renewal had to be given 45-60 day prior to lease expiration and if not received in a timely manner then the lease becomes month to month?

If I am on a month to month basis do I still need to sign this agreement sent? I contacted the property owner but they have yet to get back to me.

Please advise?

I am no attorney but I've been researching these things quite a lot and here are a few things you should be aware of:
Some leases have automatic renewals. If you do not notify that you intend to terminate the lease at the expiration date by a certain time frame (45-60 or 60-90 days etc..) it can be automatically renewed. Check your lease carefully for this and anything else you signed.
They will not volunteer this information. They will hope you overlook it and slam you for it later. Many laws I'm finding are on the terms of "unless otherwise stated" sort of statements. You must read the fine print. You may think you're now month to month but they have a provision in a lease or agreement you signed of assumption to extend if not notified in writing.
Don't take anything spoken to the bank. Only in writing. If you make ANY requests, notifications, etc.. DO THEM IN WRITING, keep everything, save it all in a file, trust me I've been in the situation that I got stuck with something unfair because I trusted the word of a property manager and didn't keep evidence.
What is the term of the extension? I would recommend not signing if you don't intend to stay for that period. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back