Legal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNTNWATERLOO

We have a small Landlord Association in Iowa. We would like to create a website where each landlord has access and can share tenant information such as evictions, etc. The information IS published on our courthouse website stating the case and dates and eviction. However not all landlords understand how to use the sometimes complex system and getting through all the code meanings, etc. Im seriously wanting to open a user friendly site where information can be shared among landlords, public information, but do not want to put myself in a legal mess with slander issues, etc. My thought is to only list the information provided from the courthouse website. They do list eviction and money judgement rulings. However, things such as serving tenants a notice to pay rent or quit, tenants that simply disappear in the night, etc would be a huge help for other landlords to share among themselves. Any suggestions?

I don't believe it would be a problem so long as you are only listing public information. Even if you inadvertently post other personal identifying information you would have some liabilities.
Honestly though, if the court website already provides the information, why not just direct your users there for the information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back