living in housing without a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarelys127

I live in N.Y.C. Public Housing. I've been living in this apartment for over 10 years. I've been trying to get a since 2005. I lived with my sister before that and am not getting the same income. It's less. They never adjusted the rent but it has gone up considerably since then. I've been to court a few times. There were a few issues and one is still pending, the rent. Rite now it's about $3,000(i called 311 & a gentle man i spoke to said i shudn't pay rent if i don't hav a lease. is that tru?). But, up until I stopped paying the rent, I payed my dues. I stopped paying because I was tiered of going back and forth to court and they weren't adjusting the rent and I was struggling. I have two kids and I payed my rent as it went up but my kids need too. I have no problem paying the rent but I want a lease with my name as the head of household and the rent adjusted so that I can still provide for my kids. The rent is equal to my income and I'm still in limbo. ????

Last edited:
You've been trying to a what? since 2005? A lease? Are you saying that because you do not have a lease that management is increasing your rent on a very regular basis?

Typically one is still a tenant even if they don't have a written lease. This may be different in the case of public housing in New York City.

Gail

I think she has been trying to get a rent abatement since 2005 (further rent reduction). Weather you have a written lease or not you must pay rent. If you do not you will find yourself homeless. Past that I can't advise you because I'm not sure what you are asking.

??

My name is on a lease addendum. The housing manager is saying I'm not on the lease. The last time I was in court, the court officer grilled the housing manager about that and told me that if I payed the back rent, I would get a lease. But i cant afford that. Obviously I'm not a lawyer but I think they actually may owe me money. When my mother moved out and left my sis the apartment, housing wound up owing retroactive for not adjusting the rent for my sister's income. Which is the same problem I'm having now. So you see we have a pattern here. I know I'm probably putting myself in a deeper hole but I promised myself that my kids weren't going to have another summer and Christmas like they did the last two years cuz I "can't afford to pay rent" when technically housing never adjusted it to my income after my sister moved out in March 2005, but, as the rent increases, I HAVE to keep up. I feel like nobody's on my side.

My name is on a lease addendum. The housing manager is saying I'm not on the lease. The last time I was in court, the court officer grilled the housing manager about that and told me that if I payed the back rent, I would get a lease. But i cant afford that. Obviously I'm not a lawyer but I think they actually may owe me money. When my mother moved out and left my sis the apartment, housing wound up owing retroactive for not adjusting the rent for my sister's income. Which is the same problem I'm having now. So you see we have a pattern here. I know I'm probably putting myself in a deeper hole but I promised myself that my kids weren't going to have another summer and Christmas like they did the last two years cuz I "can't afford to pay rent" when technically housing never adjusted it to my income after my sister moved out in March 2005, but, as the rent increases, I HAVE to keep up. I feel like nobody's on my side.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but from your posting it appears that a decision has been made; the officer of housing court (and I'm assuming this was heard in New York City's Housing Court since they typically handle these type of case) has ruled if you paid the back rent, you would get a lease.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back