lodger in private residence....eviction

M

Mary T

Jurisdiction
California
two yrs ago I let a friend move into my spare bedroom. There was no written agreement... I know my mistake! She did not pay Feb. rent (250.00) and I verbally gave her a thirty quit notice. On Feb 29,2016 I gave her a three day quit or pay notice, notarized and delivered by neutral party I used the best free form I could find on line which did mention a lease. I articulated for Feb rent and late fee. Specified that if she is out by 3/3/16 I will forget rent and fee. Since this has happened she has verbally attacked me pretty constantly when she is home. I'm getting fearful for my safety. As she is a lodger in my residence do I need to give her a written 30 days notice? Or can my form count as a 3 day notice? I'm holed up in my bedroom to get away from her haranguing. How can I most quickly get her out of my house. I realize I made a mistake in not putting anything in writing. What can I do now? MT

You must follow CA eviction law to the letter, step by step, inch by inch.

If you make one misstep, you are required to start from step one!

You can read the turorial your state courts created to help people in your predicament:

Eviction - eviction_housing_selfhelp

You can find the necessary forms, instructions, fees, etc... For YOUR county by searching the Internet.

If the person attacks you, sometimes threatens you causing you to fear for your safety, destroys property, breaks other laws you can sometimes get an order of protection.

Again your state courts have created a tutorial on how to request and obtain such an order. If you get one, the violent deadbeat could be gone within 24-48 hours, if your situation qualifies for an EMERGENCY ORDER.

Read and learn:

Abuse & Harassment - abuse_selfhelp

Back