Manager wants to give less than half of deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jperez24

My jurisdiction is: California

I recently moved put of my one bedroom apsrtment. I gave the property manager 15 days notice and she stated that i might get half of my deposit, she said "I'll talk to the owner". When i moved out she did not inspect the apartment for damages she moved someone else in that was occupuying a two bedroom but only using one bedrrom with out fixing the apartment where i just moved out of. She told me around the 15th of july she would have my deposit. i went to see her and she said the owner has 21 days to give me my deposit. In the contract that i signed it did not state that i had to give a 30 day notice or any notice, but after i moved in we got a set of rules typed in a unprofessional manner stating that we had to give 30 days notice or we lose the deposit. I heard and i don't know if this is accurate but that the owner gives her the check in her name and she writes out a check in her name to give back deposits.

My questions are:
1: How can i know she isn't stealing tenats deposits?
2: I live in Los Angeles County, California, what is the law about tenant notice to vacate?

1. Attached in information regarding the return of the security deposit in California:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/sec-deposit.shtml

Your landlord does have 21 days to return your security deposit/inform you of any amounts that are being kept.

2. How much notice one must give to terminate a lease often coincides with the type of lease they have. If they have a month to month tenancy it is 30 days notice; if they pay by the week, 7 days notice, etc.. Sounds like you did receive information that to end this lease required a 30 day notice.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back