Mold in apartment and landlord wont fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

imtiffa

Myself, my fiance and my 18 month old son have lived in this apartment for about 2 weeks. Right away we noticed that we had mold growing (in the form of mushrooms). We called right away and were told that they would get back to us. A few days later they finally got back to us and said that they would be sending someone out to see about the LEAK. Two men came and said that they had found the leak and someone would call us to let us know what was going on from there. A few days after that someone called and told us that someone would be coming to fix the leak the next day. Someone did come and tore off some paneling to find that there was plywood and he couldn't get to the leak. Ok, so it's now a few days later and OTHER people come to fix the wax ring in the apartment above ours. In this time our bathroom smells like urine, sometimes feces and most of all the mold smell. They told us that nothing was wet so the leak was fixed. (when we checked water would ooze out of the wood). So we made the decision that we need to move out. They are doing nothing about the mold and we found that they won't do anything about the mold because then we would have no place to live. YES, they admitted that they are not going to rip into our bathroom to fix the mold issue. To make it all worse, I am 9 weeks pregnant and both my son and my fiance and allergic to mold. (and yes there are other issues that the landlord hasnt address. like letting us move in with a stove that didnt work and then giving us a new one that didnt work also. And the fact that I can only open 3 windows due to not having proper screens and we were told that we were getting some. Its going to be 90 today). All in all we can't live here and fight this. I just would like to know if this were brought to court would we have a good case? We have documented all mold with pictures and written down the conversations. Thanks.

Myself, my fiance and my 18 month old son have lived in this apartment for about 2 weeks. Right away we noticed that we had mold growing (in the form of mushrooms). We called right away and were told that they would get back to us. A few days later they finally got back to us and said that they would be sending someone out to see about the LEAK. Two men came and said that they had found the leak and someone would call us to let us know what was going on from there. A few days after that someone called and told us that someone would be coming to fix the leak the next day. Someone did come and tore off some paneling to find that there was plywood and he couldn't get to the leak. Ok, so it's now a few days later and OTHER people come to fix the wax ring in the apartment above ours. In this time our bathroom smells like urine, sometimes feces and most of all the mold smell. They told us that nothing was wet so the leak was fixed. (when we checked water would ooze out of the wood). So we made the decision that we need to move out. They are doing nothing about the mold and we found that they won't do anything about the mold because then we would have no place to live. YES, they admitted that they are not going to rip into our bathroom to fix the mold issue. To make it all worse, I am 9 weeks pregnant and both my son and my fiance and allergic to mold. (and yes there are other issues that the landlord hasnt address. like letting us move in with a stove that didnt work and then giving us a new one that didnt work also. And the fact that I can only open 3 windows due to not having proper screens and we were told that we were getting some. Its going to be 90 today). All in all we can't live here and fight this. I just would like to know if this were brought to court would we have a good case? We have documented all mold with pictures and written down the conversations. Thanks.

Leases are very hard to break, even with good reasons.

They can be broken with persistence and perseverance.

Contact the health department in your city or county and seek their advice.

You will discover that it will not be as easy as it should.

Some people just give up and forfeit their deposit.

Here are some articles that provide information on mold and how you can break leases.

http://articles.directorym.com/House_Mold_Remediation_Iowa-r1011248-Iowa.html

http://ohmyapt.apartmentratings.com/how-to-break-a-lease.html

http://www.rentlaw.com/mold/moldbasics.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back