moves out w/o returning keys right away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrsdawson618

Can section 8 housing in Texas, put a hold on my move, if the unit was damaged after I left the property but I did not return the keys right away? I put in my 30 day notice at the end of Janurary, my landlord/owner signed off on the notice as well stating that I did not owe any fees or back rent, I moved out of the property on Feb 12, to another state, transferring my section 8, but according to the housing authority the landlord/owner contacted them and stated that there were damages to the property, I was notified of this 1 week after I moved and they said that my transfer is on hold until they determine if I owe the landlord/owner money that totals more than my security deposit. I advised that there were no damages when i left, but they said I am responsible for this because i did not return the keys. Please advise me on this, me and my children are currently homeless do to this mess

You should have done a final inspection with the landlord when you moved out and returned the keys at that time.
Your landlord is right. You gave 30 days notice, left early, and did not return the keys... you are still on the hook for the condition of that residence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back