My landlord is suing me for unfair business pratices

throwaway001

Jurisdiction
California
I am the leaser of a rent controlled flat in the Bay Area, CA and my landlord is suing me for unfair business practices. She is claiming (with no proof) that I am renting to my roommate (we are 4, total) more than their proportional share of the rent. This claim is bogus as we all pay (exactly!) the same amount of rent since years. I never charged more than a fair share of rent, and certainly not made money from charging more my roommate than what I am paying myself for my room.
I have my bank records and venmo records to prove it.
I think she is trying to intimidate us to move out from the flat since she would love to get rid of the rent control.
I never rented the flat through airbnb or any other way. My roommates are still the same since at least a year.
I am now sued, and have to find a lawyer, i have very little money to assume a lawsuit and i believe she knows it.
How come she can file a lawsuit with no proof ? I am stunned and feel helpless.

Thank you for your help.

I don't know why you're surprised at being sued?

It's quite commonly known that in the USA anyone can bring a lawsuit for the most frivolous of reasons.

I suggest you and your roomies band together to fight for your rights, HIRE A LAWYER.

If you can't afford a lawyer, get ready to get bulldozed right out of your unit.

Good luck.

[QUOTE="throwaway001, post: 230131, member: 113136"}How come she can file a lawsuit with no proof ?[/QUOTE]

It's because anyone in the US can sue anyone else at any time for just about anything. That doesn't mean the person will always win though. If you are being sued, you will want/need to defend yourself.

Good luck.

Back