My landlord moved into the basement

I

Iceage99

Jurisdiction
Colorado
So I live with my family in an about two thousand square foot house. We're friends with the landlord and his family. Recently the wife filed for divorce and he asked to move in after being kicked out. Originally prior to him moving in he said he would cut the $825 rent down to $400 if he got to live in the basement. After we agreed he changed his mind about rent to $600 a month because he wouldn't have full access to the basement. By not having full access he ment that we weren't going to take every single thing out of the basement. Everything was taken out of the room he's using and the rest was cleaned up. Can you give me the gist of our rights in this situation?

So I live with my family in an about two thousand square foot house. We're friends with the landlord and his family. Recently the wife filed for divorce and he asked to move in after being kicked out. Originally prior to him moving in he said he would cut the $825 rent down to $400 if he got to live in the basement. After we agreed he changed his mind about rent to $600 a month because he wouldn't have full access to the basement. By not having full access he ment that we weren't going to take every single thing out of the basement. Everything was taken out of the room he's using and the rest was cleaned up. Can you give me the gist of our rights in this situation?

You are in a pickle.
You want him out, you'll have to evict him.
However, if the agreement to lower the rent isn't in writing, it isn't enforceable anyway.

Your two best options, grin and bear it.
Or, make plans to move when your lease expires.

Never allow anyone to live in your home, except your immediate family.

You have the right to grow a spine.

Go ahead and pay him $400 and if he doesn't like it he can leave and you'll go back to paying him the $825 once he and his stuff are out the door.

Back