My money never went to the landlord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

njn1219

My boyfriend and I moved into a condo privately owned by a woman. We found the place in a classifieds by Steph, who already lived there. Steph had her own room and her old roommate, Candi, had her own room. Candi moved out and her room was the one my boyfriend and I moved into.
Steph asked for a deposit and a prorated amount upon us moving in and said she'd pass on the money to the landlord.
After 3 months of living there, I find out from a notice that the money never went to the landlord and Steph hasn't paid ANYTHING since she's moved in last October, making that a total of 10 months without paying rent.
She claimed that it started when the landlord moved to another country and getting a hold of her was difficult. She and Candi put off paying the landlord and is now taking it more seriously due to received notices of eviction. Candi moved out because she couldn't currently afford the rent and acknowledges that she will be gone after separately for the half she owes.
Steph stayed in the condo and rented out the room to me and boyfriend.
We feel scammed and want our deposit back. There was never a lease and all I have in writing is the amount I gave Steph for a prorate and the deposit with her signature.
My boyfriend and I moved our stuff out by Aug 6th. We paid her money from May until July and we don't want to give her anymore money and we want our deposit back. She said she was expecting all of August rent from us.. What's fair and what should I ask for?

You start by demanding (in writing) your deposit back. Unfortunately, because of Stephs previous habit of keeping money owed to others, you're likely going to have to sue her for your deposit.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back