my new apt is damp, got mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlejelly

Hi, I am in SC, just moved in an apt on August 7(first floor). It's very damp, My paper salt box got wet totally. The bathroom door got mold, and my laptop bag in my closet (not on the floor) got mold too.I didn't feel very good with my legs (sore,pain)

My landlord sent someone to remove the mold and also bring me a dehumidifier on 8/30/2010 I turned the dehumidifier on, with in 5hr (1:30pm to 6:30pm) , the 70pt dehumidifier was full. The landlord suggested me to turn on the AC all the day. But my apartment didn't have enough sunshine, I didn't think it's hot in August.And I need to pay extra utility fee if I turn the AC on all the day. And I think it's not my fault,but the bad design and construction.

I bought a humidity meter yesterday, humidity in my apt is 65. And I turned the dehumidifier on, within 5 hours the 70pt dehumidifier was full again.

It's bad for health. I want to know what I need to do to protect my tenant's right.Thank you all!

This isn't a situation that will be corrected quickly or easily.
If your health is at risk then move out.

Work with your landlord as best you can to get out of the lease and move along. if the landlord gives you problems then you can seek remedy in small claims. Your health comes first though. Move if you need to and find out who owes anything afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back