My Tap Water Is Black - Landlord Says It's Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meggie

My tap water is black. I didn't rent the house with black water. I am in the process of having the Health Department test the water. In the meantime, should we be forced to bathe in black water? I have three kids who are freaking out! What can we do? (The water is from a well. Not the problem of the city or the water utility.)

Last edited:
You can spend the night in a hotel.

The landlord isn't responsible for the water in most cases.

Your beef is with the city or the water utility.

Contact them and make a complaint.

Yes, your landlord certainly is responsible for the water. Notify him of the situation in writing. Photograph or obtain video of the water and keep a sample in a jar if you want. Keep track of any extra expenses that you take on if he does not promptly address the situation (purchasing bottled water, having to eat out, etc.) If the landlord does not remedy the problem to your satisfaction you can seek damages in court for the expenses you have incurred and you may have valid reason to break your lease.

Moose, the landlord most likely is not the proximate cause of the black water and has no power to fix it. IF and that is a big IF, she can show that the black water problem originates on his side of the meter then he has a problem and has to fix it. If the problem is on the other side of the meter then it is the water utilities problem and not the landlord's. That is much more likely. There is probably some break in the water supply line. The water needs to be tested at the meter.

THE OP already said it's from a well on the property. The landlord needs to deal with it. No utilities involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back