Need help with fighting roommates

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexpapadog

I am a Landlord and i rent condo's, so recently I rented one to two women who co signed on the lease. The problem is that one of them decided to move out so the other changed the lock. I haven't done anything hoping that the problem would solve itself. Now the woman that is moving out wants me to do something and has her boyfriend threatening to take me to court, because the other roommate changed the lock to the apartment what should I do?

I'm confused. If the first tenant moved out, why is she concerned that her roommate changed the lock?

Actually, if the first tenant broke the lease, you can sue her for her share of the owed rent until the unit is rerented. Or, if the second tenant is now picking up the full rent burden, she can sue the second tenant for breaking her end of the lease early and making her pay the full amount of rent.

Finally, your second tenant cannot legally change the locks without your permission to do so.

The irony of all of this is that the second roommates boyfriend has no dog in this fight (I'm assuming he's not a lease signer). He can't sue anyone....

Please provide more details on why the second tenant is upset because the first tenant changed the locks when the first one moved out.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back