Need information on not renewing lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewlery

My husband and I have decided not to renew our tenants lease. The lease is not up until June 15, 2010. However our lease states we must give the tenant 60 days prior notice. Our tenant is with Section 8. What we want to do is send our tenant a certified letter stating we are not going to renew the lease after June 15, 2010. The letter will also state the tenant will not have to vacate the property until August 31, 2010 but a month to month lease will be required until this time.

Although we are not giving our tenant a 60 day notice of not renewing the lease, we are giving the tenant more than 60 days to find another place to live. Even though we are only required to give 60 days.

Are we doing anything that can cause the tenant to have a lawsuit against us?

Your lease is with both the tenant and your local housing authority/section 8 office.

You need to double check with them. Typically Section 8 does not allow month to month tenancies; this is one way landlords who do not wish to deal with Section 8 avoid doing so (i.e., they only run month to month leases).

Gail

I'm not sure if this will be the case in your lease, but some leases automatically renew, if you don't exercise the 60 day option prior to the original expiration.

In this case, you may have had to exercise the 60 day non-renewal option prior to April 30, 2010.

You should carefully peruse the lease.

Patricia's advice to check with the section 8 sponsor is wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back