Need Proof of Authorized Agent to File a Camp Lejeune Claim with Navy JAG Corps

Poogles0213

Jurisdiction
Ohio
My father was posted at Camp Lejeune in the mid to late 1970's and then passed away from leukemia in 1984. My mother will be filing a claim with the Navy JAG Corps, however, we need assistance to understand what documentation would need to be provided to prove my mother, who was married to my father at the time of his death, is an "authorized agent" and is allowed to file a claim on his behalf.

There was no estate to speak of and nothing went through probate court; therefore, there was no Executor of Estate, Administrator, etc.; there are no court documents related to my father's 'estate' (because there was no property or money to be distributed). I sent an email to the Navy JAG Corps, but their reply didn't provide an answer for me. Would a copy of their marriage license be sufficient? My mother receives Social Security survivor benefits each month - would documentation proving she receives these funds be enough to prove she is an authorized agent?

Would a copy of their marriage license be sufficient? My mother receives Social Security survivor benefits each month - would documentation proving she receives these funds be enough to prove she is an authorized agent?

You appear to be thinking of useful solutions.

However, you need to understand who is to receive your documentation.

I suggest you read about the PACE ACT, which allegedly addresses your concerns and claim.

WARNING, the date to have your claim filed is August 10th.

You might want to search for lawyers in your area to do this for you. Most of those lawyers don't require an upfront fee. With the deadline being 15 days away and closing, get on this sooner, rather than later. August 10th is coming, ready or not!

You can also ask your elected US Senators and your US Congressperson to assist you. They're very helpful in these matters for their constituency.

Veterans are eligible for disability benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs if they served at Camp Lejeune between 1953 and 1987 and have been diagnosed with one of eight conditions strongly linked to chemicals found in the water: leukemia, aplastic anemia, bladder cancer, liver cancer, kidney cancer, multiple myeloma, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and Parkinson's disease. But those who have tried to sue the Navy (the Marine Corps' parent organization) have historically been unsuccessful due to statute of limitations issues and policies that prevent armed service members from suing the government over injuries suffered in the line of duty. Given those roadblocks, Biden's signature on the PACT Act represents many families' best shot at justice.

The law's passage also provides new clarity to some families. The military never formally notified many Camp Lejeune residents that they'd been exposed to potentially dangerous substances. (Stenger wrote in an email to TIME that the Camp Lejeune Historic Drinking Water website is meant to share relevant information; it also includes a registry that allows those who may have been exposed to sign up for updates.) But after Biden signed the PACT Act, lawyers seeking to represent plaintiffs from Camp Lejeune peppered television and the internet with advertisements. For some people, including Johnson, those ads promised long-awaited explanations.

Back