New lease/may have to move

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarmagnolia

The current one year lease we signed upon moving in to our rental house will expire in the beginning of July. They sent us a notice of them raising the rent along with a notice to sign a new one year lease. We signed the new one year lease that day since we were going in to sign the notice that we accept them raising the rent already. Now, my husband's job offerred him a promotion, but we would have to move half way across the country. We just signed a new one year lease that will go into effect July 1, 2010. Can we legally ask to void the new lease that we signed since it does not go into effect until July 1st or we were obligated from the day that we signed the new lease since we did so early before our last one was up? We are excellent renters and have A+ credit that we would like to keep intact. We are not going to up and leave without notice, we would be able to give 60 days notice because that is the time frame that my husband's company has given us. Is there any legal way to do this or are we screwed? Thank you.

The current one year lease we signed upon moving in to our rental house will expire in the beginning of July. They sent us a notice of them raising the rent along with a notice to sign a new one year lease. We signed the new one year lease that day since we were going in to sign the notice that we accept them raising the rent already. Now, my husband's job offerred him a promotion, but we would have to move half way across the country. We just signed a new one year lease that will go into effect July 1, 2010. Can we legally ask to void the new lease that we signed since it does not go into effect until July 1st or we were obligated from the day that we signed the new lease since we did so early before our last one was up? We are excellent renters and have A+ credit that we would like to keep intact. We are not going to up and leave without notice, we would be able to give 60 days notice because that is the time frame that my husband's company has given us. Is there any legal way to do this or are we screwed? Thank you.

The easiest thing for him is to notify his employer.

Most employers will buy out the lease as part of your relocation package.

If that isn't possible, you're stuck with the lease.

Many leases have a transfer clause, that will allow you to break the lease easily.

It'll cost, but see if your lease has one.

Finally, you can ask your landlord to allow you to break the lease for the company sponsored move.

That will cost, too.

If the landlord agrees, get everything in writing as an addendum to the lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back