No lease - legal disposing of abandoned property

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlelv

We helped a lady get out of a nursing home (2 blown knees) offering her a place to live, and we were taking her to Drs appts and trying to help her after her ranch foreclosed.. My girlfriend knew her 3 years from a horse ranch and this lady is not a sane person. Even knowing that, we didnt think shed turn on us when we were her last people willing to help her on earth...Well, she did. We moved her filthy belongings, animals, etc out of the foreclosed ranch 100 miles to new place, offering to do the move at under minimum wage. Owner of property she moved to (my brother) cleared his living room and promised her a mobile to live in which would be ready (in approx 1-2 weeks. We moved her with a combination of our own money and hers and this move was done while she was in nursing home, and was done in 120 heat and terrible animal smells.. she had no other friends family willing to help. She refused to pay the moving costs right off the bat. Although we presented rental amounts for her to pay (reduced for the living room and more for the mobile)she refused to pay any rent or living expenses, utilities after being asked many times...She argued all the tme about the costs, including refusal to reimburse gas when we drove 100 miles to get her mail. She is on multiple medications and again not a sane lady. She began vindictive behavior, calling child protective svcs (brother has a young son), animal control (on what included her own dogs), and Adult Protective Services to make trouble for my brother. Adult protective services showed up, but then turned around and hauled her away at my brothers request, her own phone call backfiring on her. Since she left, about 2 months ago, we have secured all her belongings properly in the trailer, and served her "notice to reclaim abandoned property" via registered mail to her last known address, which we knew was valid as she had the same PO box near the ranch for at least 3 years and was regularly receiving disability checks there (past car accident). We have now submitted a legal notice for public sale in a couple weeks. Without a renters contract is this the right way to proceed or should we have even bothered. What are the alternatives? Does her disability come into play at all? We want to handle this correctly. She has made no attempt to contact any of us. There are 3 witnesses that can attest that the movers (individuals, not a moving co) were not paid, and can attest that she refused to pay any rent/living expenses. Thank for your input...please try to post as the auction is Jan 13 THX!!!!

Did she ever agree to pay the movers? Due to her mental condition, it is unlikely she is going to be held responsible for any contract, whether written or verbal.

Have you contacted APS about the property she left behind? A social worker would be able to contact the woman and make arrangements for her property. You better make sure you exhaust all other options before you sell anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back