No rental agreement, really cold, internet slow; want to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssToronto

Hey~ hope I can get some help here. I recently took a place in Toronto to be closer to my receptionist job (I'm a new grad from university, living away from my hometown). It's a Chinese owned basement.

What I didn't realize during my first daytime visit of the place is that it gets really cold at night. below 21 degrees for sure.. closer to 17.
the internet is "covered" but it's really slow and doesn't work half the time.

For the net, he says he is providing good internet and it works for others.

For the heat, it's my room that's really cold, but the common area and the other rooms are warm, so he can't increase the heat because my room is going to be a few degrees colder than the common space. So increasing the heat means overheating the other rooms... No heater or anything was mentioned, I'm wearing sweater and leggings when I sleep..

I already paid the first month rent in cash (he wants cash not cheque). The landlord asked for a last month rent deposit; I didn't want to give it to him. I want to leave after one month. I don't think it's worth it fighting over the net and heat. my housemates are loud and I want to leave anyway. I don't want to make him mad because he lives in the house.. he seems like the type to get mad... he's probably going to ask me again for the deposit soon.

I originally said I would stay at least 2 months.

I was ready with a cheque to pay rent and to sign the rental agreement the first day (no terms of anything was mentioned before I moved in). He didn't accept cheque, cash only, and he had no rental agreement. I got him the cash for the rent. On the third day, he asked for the last month deposit and for a key deposit. He didn't mention anything about those amounts before or when I moved in.

Am I legally obligated to pay since I'm not satisfied with the place and there is no rental agreement? I would like to just leave after a month, but with no confrontations.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd just leave that apartment.
It most probably doesn't meet the law on habitability.
You probably could report the landlord to the city tenant's board.
But, why bother?
The guy is a crook.
No legitimate landlord demands cash.
He's doing that, so as not to report his income.
His units, most likely do not meet city codes.
Get the heck out of there, as fast as you can.
Do not pour any more good money down a rat hole!
==============================================
Here is information on minimum temperatures, and who to contact if your apartment is in violation.
In Toronto the temperature must be a minimum of 21C (70 Fahrenheit) from September 15 to June 1 according to Chapter 497-2 of the Toronto Municipal Code under bylaw 499-2000 Toronto Apartment Minimum Temperature by-law. The numbers to call are: 338-0338 (Access Toronto)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This website should answer most of your questions.

http://www.ontariotenants.ca

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back