No signed lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epicurus

Long story short the house i am living is completely mismanaged and is falling apart and I have a chance to move right now. The leasing agent never got a signed lease from us. Do I need to give any notice to move? If so how much?

also barring that this place is a dangerous place to live, there are ten cracks in the walls of the living room alone (some as big as a 1/4 in all appeared in the last year) and all but one closet door has come of the tracks. several other doors do not close properly due to the shifting foundation. Is this reason enough to break the lease under the unsafe living condition law here in TX?

In the absence of a written lease, a renter is considered to have a "tenancy at will"; if you pay rent monthly, you are a month to month tenant (i.e., your lease begins the first day of each month and ends on the last day). If you pay weekly, you are a week to week tenant, etc.

How much notice either side needs to give depends on how frequently you pay your rent. If monthly, you need to provide a 30 day written notice that you will be terminating your lease.

If you wish to leave earlier based on your contention that the place is unsafe or unhealthy to live in, you may find yourself having to prove in court what exactly made the place either unsafe or unhealthy as well as presenting written documentation that you notified the landlord of such matters and that you gave them enough time to address repairs.

If you have done none of this, the simplest way to end your lease is by presenting the 30 day written notice to do so.

Gail

I agree with Gail, but the reality of your situation is that a company that has not bothered to provide you with a lease is unlikely to bring suit against you either. A Judge would look at them kind of funny for their sloppy "management" of the property and the lease. Being a good person and citizen, I would give them a 30 day notice. If you TRULY think it is dangerous, leave. I doubt you will be sued and I doubt seriously you would lose if you did. Take pictures or get someone who is an expert to take a look at the structure.

The poster isn't going to be sued for thousands. Yes I am advising them to give 30 days notice or leave with an expert's opinion. Do you just look for my posts so you can disagree? You apparently didn't even bother to read my whole post.

If they give 30 day notice they are covered, if they have an expert opinion they are covered. You are just arguing to be arguing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back