Not providing HOA documents to tenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeniff20992

Jurisdiction
Virginia
First question.

If I put a clause in my lease that states "Compliance with Owner's Association Documents or Similar Authority: Tenants shall conduct themselves and require other persons on the premises, whether known by the tenant or not, to conduct themselves in a manner that will not disturb his neighbors' peaceful enjoyment of their premises, and always in accordance with the rules and regulations of the HOA XYZ"

and I never provided my tenants the HOA rules/regulations after 4 months of them living there, could they break their lease on me after discovering they don't like a particular rule?

What about if the HOA rules are available online if you googled the HOA?

Second question.

Virginia § 55.1-1220. Landlord to maintain fit premises states the following:
A. The landlord shall:
8. Provide a certificate to the tenant stating that all smoke alarms are present, have been inspected, and are in good working order no more than once every 12 months. The landlord, his employee, or an independent contractor may perform the inspection to determine that the smoke alarm is in good working order.

My tenants moved in 4 months ago and I never provided them this certificate. What is my exposure for failing to do this (I just didn't know about it)? Is there a potential case for them to sue me (not sure what the damages would be)?

Could they break my lease early for safety reasons, even if I put in a clause that states "This lease may not be terminated by tenants or landlord prior to XXX?

I've combined your posts into this thread because they are both concerned with landlord tenant matters.

In fact, based on your other thread:

I suggest you hire a lawyer to teach you how to comply with your legal responsibilities as a landlord and the consequences of not complying.

It seems apparent that you are out to screw your tenants and we aren't going to help you with that.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back