Not releasing personal property

NikkiD101

Jurisdiction
Florida
24 hr notice not received or posted. Defense paperwork filled to portal as advised by county clerk. Awaiting decision sheriff landlord and son-in law arrive. taken from my home few hours granted to remove belongs. Antagonized by son in law while scrambling to get personal property out in time landlord granted. 85% smaller items out, 15% left tto go and all furniture and due to majors storms running out of time given. Called LL to explain, ask permission to allow us to finish. Without finishing stayed close to property for 3 days calling, texting & emailing landlord about remaining personal property, if she'd allow me to finish, if not will see be removing to curb, donating, trash auction never responded.. every item she'd kept, for personal gain. I understand in eviction landlord not labile for any damages that may occur in removal of tenants personal property. However items can't just b e taken with out advising tenant what will happen to left items. I kept calling begging t get remaining items tat I'd not intentionally left behind or abandoned.. I'd begged for my medical breath machine and all antibiotics insurance wont cover second time and desperately needed. Momentous irreplaceable. Owed 1 month rent $1500 she took procession of my property containing small items, furniture and appliances totaling just over $12000.Kept security deposit as well with no notification used towards any damages.

Do you have a SPECIFIC LEGAL question?

Ranting, whining, kvetching isn't productive.

You had a "few hours" to retrieve your belongings and you didn't grab your medical equipment and medications? SMH

Owed 1 month rent $1500

If this got to the point where the sheriff came and put you out then you stayed way, way, way beyond the time you should have left.

24 hr notice not received or posted

Go to court. Sheriff says he posted it. Tenant who got evicted for non-payment of rent says he didn't. Who do you think the judge will believe.

Anyway, you might contact your local legal aid or tenants rights agency and see if there is any help there.

Back