Not sure if I can do anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

caitlyn12284

My landlords have not fixed leaks in the roof we have been after them about for almost the whole 2 years we have been there. There is a small room we have that we were told would be fixed up when we moved in, and by fixed up I mean , the water damaged floor and walls replaced and the mold taken care of. 2 years later and the leaks aren't even fixed properly. When they decided to raise the rent I told them if I was to pay more, they needed to fix the room because we wanted to use it. She told me that she would put a lock on the door and not allow me access to the room because she refused to spend more money on the house. When my husband asked about the still leaking roof they said they spent $25k on it and were 'tapped out' and were not doing any more. Also, the basement door that leads directly to my kitchen has a faulty lock on it and when my husband asked about fixing it, he got loud with the landlord because the door was left WIDE open while we were gone all day until 11 pm when we got home with our two babies. WE called them right away because I was not puting my kids lives in danger as we live in the city and who knows who can go in. Anyway, when my husband got loud asking him to replace the lock the landlord told him we have 30 daysto get out. We are month to month lease, but I am not wanting to pay them for July as we are moving out July 5th and they have not kept up with their duties as a landlord and their refusal to fix one more thing is the reason we are having to leave. Is there anything I can do?? Get them in trouble for not keeping the home safe??? I do not want them to 'win' in this situation because they are just rotten!! help please

My landlords have not fixed leaks in the roof we have been after them about for almost the whole 2 years we have been there. There is a small room we have that we were told would be fixed up when we moved in, and by fixed up I mean , the water damaged floor and walls replaced and the mold taken care of. 2 years later and the leaks aren't even fixed properly. When they decided to raise the rent I told them if I was to pay more, they needed to fix the room because we wanted to use it. She told me that she would put a lock on the door and not allow me access to the room because she refused to spend more money on the house. When my husband asked about the still leaking roof they said they spent $25k on it and were 'tapped out' and were not doing any more. Also, the basement door that leads directly to my kitchen has a faulty lock on it and when my husband asked about fixing it, he got loud with the landlord because the door was left WIDE open while we were gone all day until 11 pm when we got home with our two babies. WE called them right away because I was not puting my kids lives in danger as we live in the city and who knows who can go in. Anyway, when my husband got loud asking him to replace the lock the landlord told him we have 30 daysto get out. We are month to month lease, but I am not wanting to pay them for July as we are moving out July 5th and they have not kept up with their duties as a landlord and their refusal to fix one more thing is the reason we are having to leave. Is there anything I can do?? Get them in trouble for not keeping the home safe??? I do not want them to 'win' in this situation because they are just rotten!! help please

First of all, if you don't want them to "win", pay for what you owe.
Otherwise, they'll bring an eviction action against you.
With that on your record, it'll be very hard to ever rent again, anywhere in the USA!
Secondly, if they serve you with the notice of a court hearing, do not default.
Thirdly, tell your husband to let you talk to people.
You know how to do that better than him.
Threatening people never works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back