Office Tenant Complaint About Another Tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

wronged_tenant

On the day of October 8, 2009, another tenant's customer/old friend overstepped the boundaries of my personal and business space by reaching into my private office suite and pulling my door shut. I opened the door again and asked the woman in the process of pulling my door closed to not close my door. I did not pursue the matter further even though the customer of the other tenant said she closing the door to protect the privacy of the client I was talking to within the back (counseling) room of my private suite. I explained that the person to whom I was currently speaking in the back room of my suite was not a client but instead the telephone repairman who came to repair my nonworking phone and that I couldn't have people coming along and closing my door because at another time I could get locked out by that action. I did not pursue the matter further. But an hour or so later when I happened to look into the other tenant's office to ask her an question which was unrelated to her customer's closing my door, the other tenant angrily told me that I was "not allowed to yell at" her "customer." I said I did not yell at anyone and proceeded to explain. The other tenant interrupted me with other angry follow-up statements....Since the door-closing incident, that other tenant has broken terms of her lease and other orders given her by the landlords during the several months by approaching first me and later my clients in such a way as to truly violate our privacy and the normal functioning of my business. I documented those actions and all of the many other inappropriate actions of that other tenant during the months which followed the door closing incident, but I not only never spoke to the other tenant directly about the incident or her other inappropriate violations of my personal and business boundaries but also never even spoke to that other tenant in an angry voice tone. I sent the documented information to the landlords in e-mails to the leasing agent. Both I and the other tenant had both be told to not approach either each other or each other's clients/customers. While that other tenant took every opportunity she would find to speak to my clients as they attempted to enter and leave my suite, but I avoided the other tenant. The other tenant made multiple assumptions which were not true and spoke to my angrily and threateningly on 2 different occasions without provocation concerning those incorrect assumptions as if the assumptions were fact....I have today received an e-mail from my leasing agent in which she informed me that the owners want me out of the building because they interpretted my documenting reports to them of the other tenant's inappropriate behaviors toward me and my clients as interfering with that other client's business. In that same e-mail, I was told that if I ceased complaining about the other tenant's many inappropriate actions toward me and my clients and other visitors to my private suite to the leasing agent or anyone else in the landlord's business that I could remain in my suite until the end of my lease term but would not be allowed to renew my lease....I've not done or said anything inappropriate to that other tenant, and I have complied with the terms of my lease and the special orders which I and the other tenant received about not approaching each other or each other's clients/customers. I have kept away from the other tenant and her customers and minded my own business....What if anything can I do to counter this unfair treatment by the landlords and their agent and their failure to protect me appropriately from the other tenant's harassing invasions of my personal and business boundaries and angry verbal attacks based on incorrect assumptions which that other tenant made?

Last edited:
A landlord does not have the responsibility to renew your lease unless it is in the lease. You may have remedies against the other tenant and potentially against the landlord, but is it worth your while and what are your damages? At this point, your best bet is to look to go elsewhere and spend time doing that. You'll have to do it regardless of any claim you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back