Old Landlord Threatening Legal Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebp22

My wife and I just completed a one year lease with a private landlord. The lease was up on 15 August 09, she had a home inspector come by and check the place for any damages. The home inspector just so happens to be her son in-law. He found no deficiencies with the house. She found one stating that the carpets in the basement were stained. I took action and re-cleaned them to her standard and she was satisfied. She returned our Security Deposit and everything was left on good terms.

Two and a half weeks later she is threatening legal action due to the fact she claims there is a pungent pet odor coming from upstairs. I had cleaned the carpet as per her request and it was to her standard before we received our security deposit back. I was under the suspicion that upon the return of our security deposit there were no more legal ties? I have not been back to the house since so I don't know whether it smells or not. Does she have any case? Should seek legal representation.

Thanks much.

If the pet had an accident on the carpet upstairs (and this involved urination) simply cleaning the carpet would not remove this. The urine would soak through the carpet, into the pad and (depending on the flooring), sometimes into the floor itself. If the rental unit was closed up for even a short period of time, any odor in the padding would likely become more noticeable.

Can the landlord pursue legal action for this? Sure; anyone can pretty much sue for anything. At this point it sounds as if she is only threatening this and has not actually filed against you, correct? Did she specify what she would like done regarding this issue?

Gail

No.

So she can pursue legal action even though our contract between each other is over? I thought that the pet deposit was to cover any damages done, that's why it is non refundable.

So supposedly if she finds something wrong with the house in two years she can hunt us down and file against us then?

I would of thought that there are laws protecting tenants.

In two years time, it is hoped that the house will have gone through several tenants; thus, it would be hard for her to pinpoint that you were the one who caused damages.

Filing a lawsuit against someone does not guarantee that the person will win the lawsuit.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back