Overcharging for Cleaning/Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjalove

I just received my move-out papers, and a letter stating that I owe them $265, even after they used my $400 ($200 non refundable) deposit to clean the place.

The cleaning charges are rediculous ($649), and painting ($200).

Two friends and myself spent hours cleaning before I moved out, and know for a fact that it was in better shape than when I moved in. I dont know why they had to paint, since I had no pictures on the wall, and there were no marks or scruffs of any kind. They even charged me for cleaning the fire place, and I didn't have 1 fire within the year I was there.

Since I signed the Move in/out inspection report, which includes the price as which they charge for cleaning each item (they claim nothing on the list was cleaned, so charge me for everything on the list), and have no pictures to prove the place was clean, is there anything I can do? Also, no one signed or dated the Move In/Out inspection doctument on their end, so I dont even know who to go talk to about it.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

You could start by writing what is known as a "demand letter" to the landlord, stating what you believe is a fair share of the security deposit that should be returned to you within a certain amount of time (say, two weeks after the landlord receives this). Mention you will consider legal action if no response.

If no response (or the response is not to your satisfaction) then your only option is to consider filing a lawsuit. You need to decide how your would prove your case with no pictures of the condition of the unit at move out.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back