Owed rent paid while in illegal apartment; is there a reason I shouldn't ask for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonChick

My partner and I moved into our apartment on June 1st. We were desperate to find an apartment quickly and didn't have much money. As a result, I didn't notice most of the apartment's issues before I moved in. Within about a week of moving, we started noticing things that were wrong: a large patch of exposed black mold on the kitchen ceiling, intermittent leaks in the bathroom and kitchen, lots of exposed wiring, a ridiculous amount of insects (mainly beetles, which we assume are getting in through cracks in the foundation), no working ventilation in the bathroom, etc. There are also no smoke or carbon monoxide detectors, and there is no exit from the apartment other than going through the upstairs apartment (the windows are also very small).

When I complained about the mold and leaks for a second time, the landlord showed up, unannounced, and opened my bedroom door while I was sleeping. She later claimed it was because she thought it was an emergency. Neither leaks or mold were or are in my bedroom.

Wanting to handle things as legally as possible, I contacted the city and had someone come out to inspect the apartment. At this point, it had been two weeks since the incident where the landlord showed up unannounced, and nothing had been done about the mold or leaks. I knew that the issues would not be addressed if I just asked politely. After an inspection this past Friday, I was informed that the apartment is both illegal and considered uninhabitable. We were told by the city to vacate immediately, and that it is the landlord's responsibility to relocate us. The landlord informed me that she couldn't afford a hotel but would get us into another apartment. She has not yet demonstrated that she intends to actually relocate us, as nothing has been done to make progress in this regard.

After speaking with a lawyer, I know that we are entitled to all money that we have already paid in rent, plus reasonable relocation costs. I also know that we are entitled to triple the we've rent paid plus attorney's fees and court fees if that reimbursement is not made without going to court. The only problem is that we are low income and can't afford a lawyer...

All free legal resources I have found will not handle a case involving monetary damages. I have not been able to find a lawyer who will work on contingency in this type of case. Without a lawyer but having one kind enough to briefly consult with me over the phone, is there any reason why I shouldn't contact the landlord, tell her what I know about the money owed, and ask her to just settle by paying me the rent paid up until this point?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and apologies for the lengthy question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back