Past, Rental, Reference,

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloriar

What legal action can I take regarding a past landlord/apartment manager giving out false information regarding my rental history to a potential landlord? As a result of these lies, I didn't get the apartment I truly wanted. My credit history is not good at all however, I believe these owners went based on her report only. I believe this to be true because the potential owners did not run a credit check on me until they spoke to this landlord a second time. I am so upset with this person that I don't want her to get away with this. Also, I know that if I have to use her as a reference again in the future in order to rent another place, this is the report she's going to give out. The information she gave out was that I destroyed the apartment that my son and I were renting and that I was a disturbance around the premises. I do owe $125.00 because when I left, I didn't do a thorough cleaning of the place. The deposit was $300.00 at the time I moved in which was all used up for the cleaning, along with an additional $125.00. I must add that prior to my leaving the apartment, this landlord went behind my back and told my neighbors that I reported them as being drug users and that they were selling drugs. This I did report to the landlord during my 7 year stay there. It was only during the last year and a half that I started making these reports to the landlord. I told this landlord that I did not feel safe anymore and that I had my son to think about. Each time this landlord would reassure me that she was going to tell the owners so that she could get them evicted. It never happened so that was my reason for giving a 30 day notice. This landlord went and told my neighbors what I had reported to her and to my surprise my neighbors confronted me about it. My neighbors had a difficult time believing the landlord only because they know me to be a nice and considerate person. Many times the wife would come and knock on my door asking to borrow money or some food. Usually it was money. For the first couple of times, I did loan her the money however, once it became obvious to me what she was needing the money for, I stopped loaning out anymore. Once I became aware of my neighbors knowledge to the reports I made to the landlord, I knew I wanted to leave the premises right away. I had not idea what my neighbors would be capable of doing to my son or myself regarding the reports. I know I'm not perfect however, what gives this landlord the right to tell another landlord lies regarding my rental history.

Actually, you could certainly be seen as a disturbance around the premises. You told the landlord things about neighbors when these folks weren't even renting from your landlord. You expected the landlord to, somehow, get these folks evicted. You still owe the landlord money. In addition, you yourself said your credit history isn't very good.

It doesn't sound as if what your former landlord told the potential landlord were really lies.

Gail

My neighbors were renting from the same landlord. This complex I lived in contained 4 sets of fourplexes. I don't understand how I'm the one that's making the disturbance. I only confided in my landlord, not the surrounding neighbors. Isn't it the responsibility of the landlords to ensure saftey within, keep the riff raff out and so forth? My credit wasn't an issue in the beginning with the potential landlord. It was only checked because the former landlord made these false allegations. I did not distroy the apartment nor was I a disturbance.

Here's what you can do

Without making any judgment on whether you are right or wrong here is what you can do. Remember, when it comes to law, the threat of litigation, if done properly, is almost as good as the real thing. First, pay what you owe. That will put you on a much better footing.

Secondly, send a Certified Return Receipt letter to your ex-landlord. Be courteous but firm. Tell him/her that you think he is bad mouthing you on his referrals and you would appreciate it if he would not stretch the truth or lie when giving that referral.

You can tell him/her that if he/she lies you will seek litigation for slander. No business person likes the idea of being sued. That with paying up will solve your problem.

Thank you so much jharris352. I truly appreciate the fact that you could see both sides. I never tried to give the impression I had no faults however, who do you turn to when you're not feeling safe in your apartment. Thanks,

Gloria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back