Possible Illegal Clauses in already signed lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asassat2

I am a renter in Edwardsville, IL. I have a few questions about the lease I signed earlier this year, as I have come across some information that things within my lease may be illegal.

The first one has to do with the lease not allowing satellite dishes in any of the apartments. I have heard that the FCC prohibits this type of clause in a lease without a safety or historical regulation reason. We are looking to mount a satellite on the balcony with straps and without damaging any property.

The most important to me is the requirement of a deduction from the lease up to $150 for professional carpet cleaning other cleaning services. I have heard that a tenant in illinois only has to pay if the carpet is in worse shape than when they moved in or there is any damage created by the tenant. I have heard that the illinois security deposit return act requires the landlord to return your security deposit in full within 45 days of the date you moved, if: 1) your building or complex consists of 5 or more units 2) you do not owe any back rent 3) You have not damaged the rental unit 4) you cleaned the apartment before you moved.

I have of course already signed the lease because i was not legally aware if any of these problems are legal or not.

Please let me know if they can require me to pay for professional cleaning services, even if we clean the apartment thoroughly before leaving.

Thanks!

Federal law regarding satellite dishes:

http://www.chore.us/GOV-satellite.htm

Dirty or damaged carpets are a very common issue between landlord and tenants. Many tenants either don't clean a carpet before they leave or rent one of those "do it yourself" carpet cleaners which often do a much poorer job than a professional steam cleaning. It's not unusual that such a clause regarding professional steam carpet cleaning is included in a lease. By signing this lease you agreed to this clause.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back