Power shut off after primary tenant evicted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laterdaze

My power is shut off in a house where I am living as a subtenant under primary tenants who received an informal eviction and moved out. They had originally sublet out 2 separate rooms (verbal agreement), one to myself (sub2), and one to another person (sub1). Power bill was in Sub1's name (who owes $1200. to power co.) and has since moved out also. I have received no eviction notice. Power company refuses to restore service unless Sub1's balance is paid or there is a new rental agreement (which isn't likely, even though I have asked for this). Today, the code enforcement officer from the City left a notice on the front door saying that unless power is restored by Tuesday, the house will be considered "sub standard" and they will condemn the property, and have the Sheriff lock me out on Tuesday. Is this legal to cut off my power thereby creating a "sub standard" living condition, and forcing me to pay the delinquent bills of previous tenants (that I am not responsible for, and don't have that much money in reserve to cover), when I haven't even received an eviction notice? Thank you.

The law honors no oral agreements when it comes to property.
If there is no written agreement, the statute rules.
Yes, if there is no power, code enforcement can do as they say.
You are a tenant in adverse possession.
Your rights are somewhat limited.
It would serve you best to voluntarily leave these premises.
You have no legal defense to being on that property.
Even if an argument was made that an oral agreement existed, it terminated with the rights of the original tenant.
Those rights were extinguished with that tenant's lawful eviction.

You also don't officially live there. You picked this arrangement so yes its legal. What's preventing you from approaching the landlord (who is going to rerent this house) and getting a written agreement to lease the place? Then you will have the place in your name and you can get your own electricity. What's wrong with doing it that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back