Privacy of tenant

Queenjo

Jurisdiction
Washington
Can they make maintenance man pull out his phone and start recording in my home without my permission and I'm not at home

Can they make maintenance man pull out his phone and start recording in my home without my permission and I'm not at home
Can who make the maintenance man start recording? Do you know why and what they are recording. And if you are not there, how exactly do you know this is happening?

Make? No. Of course, they can ask him to, and he can comply.

What do you object to - his presence in your home or the recording?

Why was he in your home?

What did he record?

What were the consequences of his visit and the recording?

By the way, you should understand that the word "can" denotes the ability to do something, not whether it's done rightly or wrongly.

More details would help.

Can who make the maintenance man start recording? Do you know why and what they are recording. And if you are not there, how exactly do you know this is happening?
The mic added words, the maintenance man was recording the inside of my home because he feel it wasn't up to his standing because my pitbull pooped at my door before we left the house the second time I ran here cuz I left my phone so I didn't know she did it until I came back home and saw it plus I was in the middle of shampooing my upstairs carpet so trash was on the stairs but I just went to Walmart for cleaning stuff and he saw both time I left my house running to catch the bus the second time I left

What do you object to - his presence in your home or the recording?

Why was he in your home?

What did he record?

What were the consequences of his visit and the recording?

By the way, you should understand that the word "can" denotes the ability to do something, not whether it's done rightly or wrongly.

More details would help.
Thank you for trying to correct my wording. And my question is still Can he, I wouldn't know why he was in here when I didn't get a notice to enter

The WA landlord-tenant statutes require that the landlord give two days notice of entry except in case of emergency. The statute gives the tenant a remedy for the breach of that requirement.

See RCW 59.18.150 paragraphs 5 through 9.

Once the maintenance man is actually inside your unit I don't see anything wrong with recording conditions that may constitute a breach of your lease or statutory requirement. That, of course, could involve a difference of opinion so we need not argue that here.

The question remains, why did the maintenance man enter your unit? You'll have to find that out from management.

If it wasn't an emergency you may give written notice to management that the statute was violated and they are subject to penalties if they enter without notice in the future.

Here's what I think you intended to ask: "Is it legal for a maintenance worker hired by my landlord to take video in my home while I'm not at home?"

If that's what you intended to ask, the answer is yes.

P.S. In any future posts, it would be helpful if you made some effort to use proper capitalization and punctuation. Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

Back