Proper cleanup requests ignored.

monster12

This is a long post but wanted to get the details in since I am not able to find something like it online.

In Michigan.
I've lived in this apartment since last September. My lease ends September 30 2015, and I already paid rent for it on the 1st.
On September 6 I received a phone call saying the toilet pipe burst in my apartment and they had to go in to begin repairs. Water was spraying for hours since I wasn't home and neither was the unit below me. Someone in the basement doing laundry noticed water falling on them... I told the office that I was out of town and asked if I needed to return to get my wet items and do anything. He said there is nothing I can do and they will begin the cleaning process on the carpets.

I went to my apt on Tuesday the 8th and found a maintenance note on my door that said they were in to repair plumbing and water damage cleanup. In the notes section it said "we will be back to finish".

Throughout the process from Sunday to Tuesday when I was not there, they took my shelving units from the closet and moved them to the bathroom ( that wasn't cleaned up yet), Piled my clothes on top of them, put damp clothes on my bed, put damp clothes in a hamper and moved it to a corner of the room, left my rugs soaking wet on the floor, and threw things in my bathtub and left the garbage can full of pipe water. I understand it probably occurred while they were rushing to get the water cleaned up and carpets fixed. But when I asked if I needed to come sooner to remove my wet items I was told it was being taken care of. I didn't realize that meant thrown in wet piles on my bed and in the wet gross bathroom. They claim that they pulled up the carpet, replaced the padding, and then dried it for "four days" which isn't true since I was back at my apt by Tuesday afternoon and nobody was there.

Since that day I have called the office every other day asking for an update on when the cleaning will be finished and what will happen next. Maintenance told me contractors came out and did everything I stated above so I would assume the landlords never even entered my apt. When I call the office I am told crews are coming and they will call with an update. Each time they do not call me back and nobody comes to do anything. Or they will find out information and call me. No calls. It's difficult to communicate with them bc they speak broken English.

On Monday the 14, I called and asked for the property manager. Told she was on a call and she would return my call. Never did. I waited until Tuesday at 330pm and called her once again. This time she was there and I explained how I am still waiting for cleanup to continue as the maintenance crew states on their note. She said that the carpet was dry what else would I need done? I explained that the bathroom, where the burst occurred, still hasn't been touched and it's dirty, floors and walls have dirt and debris on them, there are carpet staples and pieces all over, and while the tile was no longer wet, it hadn't been cleaned since the burst. I removed my clothes from there bc they were beginning to smell and I haven't been staying there bc the musty smell is so strong and it's not suitable for sleeping and being around.

Out of nowhere she says that she had to wait for inspector to come take pictures for insurance and he will email her. She said he came today and now they can proceed. ( permission was never asked to enter my apt and I was not at home) Sadly I knew she was just saying that because she doesn't know what else to say. I asked what does that mean for me? She said then I know what to do and she will call be back. No call since Tuesday and it is not Friday. I said I just want the bathroom cleaned and I don't understand why nobody understands this or is coming to finish their job. She says ok they'll come tomorrow morning.

It is now Friday the 18th and nobody has come to my apartment still. There was no notice on my door about anyone entering the apartment and the bathroom was left exactly the way I left it, except now mold is on the tile from the shelving units they moved in there while the floor was wet and left there. I have called almost every other day to ask for updates, request cleaning, talked to various workers and maintenance and get nothing. My lease ends on the 30th so I can't hold back rent since I already paid this month.

The only statement in my lease regarding maintenance, repairs, and damage of premises is: "as long as the premises are habitable and the landlord makes any repairs or improvements within a reasonable amount of time, any interruption of services/utilities, inconvenience, or discomfort arising from repairs or improvements to the premises shall not affect this lease, reduce the rent, or be construed as an eviction. "

It has almost been two weeks since the incident. I can't reduce rent because I already paid and I'm moving out so the lease will be done anyways. At this point I am searching for what I could get in terms of compensation or inconvenience reimbursement.
I'm not talking about damages to my belongings although those happened because of the crew working, not the pipes. But the fact I have been staying somewhere else due to the bathroom being in the condition it is in and the smell making me unable to be there.

I am going to wait until Monday and send a certified letter to the office since it will be two weeks after the incident. I cannot find information about their main office or management group except an address where I will also send one. I feel it is the same group of people though but they'll just receive it twice.

I'm hoping someone is able to help me figure out what to do next and if anything can be reimbursed to me. I will clean the apartment upon moving out but I do not want to do to the bathroom since they never returned to do it. Also it says they keep $50 of my security deposit for cleaning anyways, which I feel I should get since they are not upholding their end of cleaning after repairs. Ideally I want my September payment returned.

Maybe because it wasn't anything I did to cause it and it's their property. They said they were returning to do it and look at damages. I don't know about you, but I've never dealt with cleaning up pipe bursting water damage. I could guarantee if it was something I did I would have already been charged. But thanks for your input.

The office tells me they're waiting for inspector. They're not my damages. Then suddenly he already came but obviously didn't. Each person I talk to acts like they don't know what's happening or just says something to make it seem like they're taking care of it.

You can send your certified letter & see what happens. You might if you want to pursue, have to sue them for any "damages" you believe you are entitled to. Good luck.

Back