Repairs, Maintenance property owner passes before money for repairs and maintainace paid

cwayne

Jurisdiction
Texas
i been a tenant for 20 years and 8 years ago the property owner and I agreed that she would keep the property and I would spend my money on all repairs, remodel of the duplex to upgrade to charge more rent to pay the increasing taxes. we talk about all the changes and she loved it all. I maintained everything . romoved fallin tree on the house . replaed windows, remodeled both sides, built a deck, etc. I wanted her to keep the property so her investment would allow her to retire. she never had to pay on cent and I made sure her mortage was paid everymonth and it paid off and was told that i would be paid for everything after the sell of the property. the value went from $200,000to $1,000,000. I took care of every expence. this was a investment for me also but everything was verbal and threw text. Now she passed unexpectedly. how do I go about making sure I get may investment back

Now she passed unexpectedly. how do I go about making sure I get may investment back

Absent the deceased including you in her will, or a written, legal contract, you take nothing!!!!!

On the other hand, the deceased can take nothing of earthly value to her plot in a cemetery.

The winners here are the heirs of the recently departed female. They get what you can't.

In the future, unless you possess a written, legal contract, don't throw your money away!

Your text messages and other assorted scribbling is as helpful as a house infested with roaches, fleas, flies, and snakes!

Now she passed unexpectedly. how do I go about making sure I get may investment back
There are circumstances where a verbal contract can be enforceable in court.

Presumably, you can prove what you invested or paid over the past 8 years with receipts, canceled checks, the mortgage payments, etc.

Have you contacted any of the heirs or executor/executrix (assuming probate has been started) of her estate to see what they have to say about the situation? If you can't come to any terms with them, you should get an attorney to represent you. You can sue the estate if necessary. I wouldn't wait to find an attorney.

i been a tenant for 20 years and 8 years ago the property owner and I agreed that she would keep the property and I would spend my money on all repairs, remodel of the duplex to upgrade to charge more rent to pay the increasing taxes. we talk about all the changes and she loved it all. I maintained everything . romoved fallin tree on the house . replaed windows, remodeled both sides, built a deck, etc. I wanted her to keep the property so her investment would allow her to retire. she never had to pay on cent and I made sure her mortage was paid everymonth and it paid off and was told that i would be paid for everything after the sell of the property. the value went from $200,000to $1,000,000. I took care of every expence. this was a investment for me also but everything was verbal and threw text. Now she passed unexpectedly. how do I go about making sure I get may investment back
Did you also pay her rent on top of all of that? Or was it rent free while you were spending the money on everything else? If it was rent free, how much did you spend over and above fair market rent during that 8 year period?

how do I go about making sure I get may investment back

You make a claim against the estate (written notice to the executor/representative) for the amount of money you allege is owed you. You prove (with evidence - not sayso) that the money is owed to you. If you don't get your money you sue the estate. If you don't know how to do that, you hire an attorney. Count on paying tens of thousands to litigate with no guarantee of success.

how do I go about making sure I get may investment back

You are free to submit a claim to the administrator or executor of her estate, although I have to say that your post is quite unclear exactly what the terms of your agreement were.

Has the administrator/executor contacted you?

How long ago did she die?

Please also answer "ldij46's" very important questions.

Did you also pay her rent on top of all of that? Or was it rent free while you were spending the money on everything else? If it was rent free, how much did you spend over and above fair market rent during that 8 year period?
I
I have a agents contract for the property and I made a deposit every month in her bank account paying rent and collecting rent from the other .tenants. and I have text messages showing that we were in comunication. And she always thanking me and amazed how I did everything for her. She was 80+ yrs old

You are free to submit a claim to the administrator or executor of her estate, although I have to say that your post is quite unclear exactly what the terms of your agreement were.

Has the administrator/executor contacted you?

How long ago did she die?

Please also answer "ldij46's" very important questions.
She passed last week and the other person on the deed called and told me. And thanks me for everything I have done and said how highly she spoke of me

the other person on the deed called and told me.

So...this might change things. It sounds like things are going smoothly, but you should confer with a local attorney at the first sign of trouble. And, for future reference, not getting an agreement like this in writing is a TERRIBLE idea.

It was not rent free I paid every month. And when the taxes went up I paid that so that her mortgage got paid in total. My least was for _$960 minus 200 for management fee but I paid _$1200 cus her taxes went up

Back