Question about Landlord entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatherhd14

My front door has a lock on the handle, and a deadbolt. Every morning when my husband and I leave, we lock the handle and NEVER EVER lock the deadbolt. Its kind of hard to lock so we just dont. I came home today and to my surprise the deadbolt was locked. I instantly knew it was the owner. I emailed our property manager and she called me back immediately and said she had just spoke with the owner and it indeed was her. But, the owner claims all she did was make sure that the key she just got made worked. The owner lives right down the road. Never seen her house, but I know she does. She has been busted entering our garage before while we werent home and without permission. She has also showed up unannounced twice. All of these times I expressed concern to the property manager and explained in great detail that this can not continue happening. So, the property manager is absolutely furious, said it was not ok, IF "checkin to see if the key worked", is actually true. Shes the owner, OF COURSE she is going to at the very least peep her head in and look around. My concern is how many other times has this happened. My other concern is she wasnt planning on telling us that she was cmoming over to check "if the key was working" and thought she had just gotten away with it. Is this illegal? Can I breake my lease?

No you can't break your lease without consequence.
You suspect the owner came inside but seem to have no proof.
If all the owner did was check the keys your complaint wont go far. Notice is only required for entry.
You should try to work this out civilly with the manager. If the owner keeps taking shortcuts around the manager the lack of communication will make it harder for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back