question of reimbursement for losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginny_west

We paid our rent one morning and that afternoon the landlord asked us to move. We were upset as we had lived at the residence for 19 months. We had to look for a place to live in the same price range and also a place that we could have our pets. And this puts us outside of the town and apartment range. We found a place fourtanetely within a week, but after having lived there that long it was going to take a while to move all of our belongings.
Two days before the landlord was found on our porch one morning wearing a pair of binoculars and a video camera, my husband and i were having a personal moment and had let our out dogs out previous this happening, after, the dogs were back in the house and I went to open the door and was undressed, being in a secluded area, to let them back out only to find the landlord sitting on my porch. He had let the dogs back into our home and sat awaited us to finish making love. Later that day I laid in the backyard to sunbathe only to hear rustling in the woods, and to no avail here comes the landlord, still with the camera and binoculars around his neck. This may be out of order but he wanted us out after us catching him in these acts.
While moving he came with his tractor and wanted us to move vehicles so he could move boulders, so we call the police to get him to leave us alone to move. The man always carrys a gun on the property and we were not about to go there even though we have guns as well we just wanted away from him now. We filed judgement for maximum and he counter sued, and then a month later has requested a civil jury trial. Army judge you gave me your answer but I still need more info on how to handle this, no disregard intended.
Ginny

Army judge gave you the correct legal information. You were not evicted by the landlord; he told you to leave and you did. An illegal eviction would involve things like him changing locks, tossing our things out on the street without a court order allowing him to do so.

No landlord can actually evict anyone; they can begin the process by notifying the tenant to leave but if the tenant does not respond, the landlord must file for an eviction through the court system.

In your case, you and your husband responded to his request to move and find another place.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back