Receipts for Damages Charged Against Security Deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsm1974

Am I legally entitled to see receipts for the work done and that is being charged against my security deposit? Examples 2 professional cleanings (says it was due to our dog), painting, carpet removal, replacement floors. I don't trust the totals she has given us and think she is inflating some charges.

mrsm1974 said:
Am I legally entitled to see receipts for the work done and that is being charged against my security deposit? Examples 2 professional cleanings (says it was due to our dog), painting, carpet removal, replacement floors. I don't trust the totals she has given us and think she is inflating some charges.

You have no legal right to see receipts.

You can dispute the charges if they exceed the fair market value of such services in your area.

You should have documented everything before you left with pictures and a video.

You should have asked the landlord to conduct a walkthrough with you when you left.

If you didn't do those things, you're spinning your wheels trying to beat this.

Without proof, your word won't be listened to by the court.

Without proof of receipts, how do I know this work was done? If they are planning to charge us close to $3500 then wouldn't it be fair to see the actual costs? For example, in one line item, they lumped flooring and painting together. Cost for materials were $653.75 and labor was $1000. We want to see receipts because that's pretty vague line item.

Without proof of receipts, how do I know this work was done? If they are planning to charge us close to $3500 then wouldn't it be fair to see the actual costs? For example, in one line item, they lumped flooring and painting together. Cost for materials were $653.75 and labor was $1000. We want to see receipts because that's pretty vague line item.

They have no legal requirement to PROVE anything to you.

They will have to produce receipts if you sue them in court.

So, file a claim against them in small claims court.

They would then be required to justify and prove to the judge's satisfaction why they charged you what they did.

They'll also have to show the work they did.

This is one time that small claims may be beneficial to someone.

But, the only way to force anyone to do anything is pursuant to the order of a court.

As you can see, they are unresponsive to you.

They won't be to a court of law!!!

Sue the buggers.

Its always a great day when someone gets sued!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back