Regulation of roommates with no lease contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderTaylor

My jurisdiction is: Snohomish County, WA

My jurisdiction is: Snohomish County, WA

Today's date is August 27th, 2009. I have lived in a "mother-in-law" apartment since October 2006, and there was never a lease agreement from the beginning In 2007, the homeowners agreed to allow a roommate to move in. This went well and the roommate left April 30th, 2009. May 1st, 2009, I let another roommate take his place. Again, no lease for me or anyone else. Now, my mother needs a place to live beginning Oct. 1st, so I informed the current roommate needs to leave by September 30th. He was visibly upset and told me that he felt I have no legal right to make this decision, and that he'd be contacting his lawyer. To me, as a layman, wouldn't this situation fall under "at will" tenancy? He doesn't receive mail here, and has only been here for 4 months. 5, once September is over. In light of this hostility, I'm planning to make my intentions clear with a physical letter delivered tomorrow. This gives him more than 30 days to find a new place to live. Do I not have the right to terminate this relationship? Do I need to go through the homeowner? I would prefer to keep the homeowner out of this if possible. Thanks in advance for your advice. -Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back