Renewing a Lease vs Signing a New one? New leases get benefits. Required to renew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

I live in Texas.

Im a college student trying to find a new place to live next year. I currently live at an apartment complex near my campus. I was looking at signing up again for next year here. But I came across some problems.

When I told the front leasing office that I wanted to signup again for next year, they told me 'technically' their renewal period ended in February. But they were willing to make an exception and let me renew. But I might have to move apartments.

On their website, they offer $500 off August rent, waive the admin and application fee, as well include a free TV. When I told them that I saw that, they told me that the special on their website was only for signing a NEW lease, the 'renewal' offers ended long ago.

...so what's the difference between a renewal and a signing a new lease? I might have to move buildings/rooms anyways, I'm not getting the same prices even if I renew (goes up 50.00), and it's technically a new lease since it's not the same. I asked the student worker (not manager) if I can just let me current lease end, then signup again. Then she said she thinks that there is a clause in the lease agreement that prevents that. I looked through my lease an didn't find anything.

Am I in the right to request those offers that new leasers get?

Here is my lease if anyone is curious: bit.ly/cX1aJB

I live in Texas.

Im a college student trying to find a new place to live next year. I currently live at an apartment complex near my campus. I was looking at signing up again for next year here. But I came across some problems.

When I told the front leasing office that I wanted to signup again for next year, they told me 'technically' their renewal period ended in February. But they were willing to make an exception and let me renew. But I might have to move apartments.

On their website, they offer $500 off August rent, waive the admin and application fee, as well include a free TV. When I told them that I saw that, they told me that the special on their website was only for signing a NEW lease, the 'renewal' offers ended long ago.

...so what's the difference between a renewal and a signing a new lease? I might have to move buildings/rooms anyways, I'm not getting the same prices even if I renew (goes up 50.00), and it's technically a new lease since it's not the same. I asked the student worker (not manager) if I can just let me current lease end, then signup again. Then she said she thinks that there is a clause in the lease agreement that prevents that. I looked through my lease an didn't find anything.

Am I in the right to request those offers that new leasers get?

Here is my lease if anyone is curious: bit.ly/cX1aJB

If there is no clause in your current lease prohibiting you from signing a new lease and getting the special offers, you should take your lease and the offer terms to the apartment manager.

Show them your proof and ask very politely (do not demand, never demand), about signing a NEW lease and receiving the special offers.

If they won't give them to you, you might want to look elsewhere.

You're going to have to move, offers or not.

You should get what others get, if not, don't give them your business.

I'll bet in this economy, someone would love a good tenant like you!

I don't see legal remedy available to you.

You really don't need one.

If you're reasonable, others tend to be, too.

If not, you're better off living elsewhere.

These guys aren't rewarding your loyalty unless they do this small kindness for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back