Rent was wrong on lease and they want me to approve the change; higher amount.

J

JJ-rents

Jurisdiction
D.C.
I signed a lease and after I moved in the leasing office tells me there was a typo on my lease and the correct rent is another fee. They say since I applied for apartment I already agreed so just come and initial the correct amount. However, technically I applied for a different unit not the unit I moved into. Can they make me pay the what they say the corrected rent is.

I asked over and over was she sure this was the right rent amount and she and the property manager saw the documents, congratulated me and welcomed me to the building. Even have a voice mail message.

They say I am technically living there without a lease....people I have consulted said once I moved in the lease was executed. Who's right who's wrong here?

If the difference is minimal, sign the document already.

If its a large DELTA, discuss a compromise.

In the end, if its too much, discuss the fact that you desire to leave.
Get that agreement in writing.

Why?

You don't want the hassle this could bring.

A lease is a contract.
If the lease you signed says $500, the new lease says $600, the contract hasn't been agreed upon - NO MEETING OF THE MINDS.
Legal meaning: There is not now, nor will there ever be a lease -aka- contract, unless you both agree!!!

This is a battle you can't win, and neither will the landlord.

However, you're not going to be successful in your battle to stay for $500, when the landlord demands $600 (or whatever the DELTA might be).

If the difference is minimal, sign the document already.

If its a large DELTA, discuss a compromise.

In the end, if its too much, discuss the fact that you desire to leave.
Get that agreement in writing.

Why?

You don't want the hassle this could bring.

A lease is a contract.
If the lease you signed says $500, the new lease says $600, the contract hasn't been agreed upon - NO MEETING OF THE MINDS.
Legal meaning: There is not now, nor will there ever be a lease -aka- contract, unless you both agree!!!

This is a battle you can't win, and neither will the landlord.

However, you're not going to be successful in your battle to stay for $500, when the landlord demands $600 (or whatever the DELTA might be).

I have actually tried to discuss a compromise and there is a significant DELTA. But we don't seem to be moving towards an agreement. I even said let's split the difference. Sounded fair to me.

If you have a written lease contract in your hand that specifies your apartment number and the rent amount and is signed by both you and the management or owner then you did have a meeting of the minds and a valid contract and are free to tell management or owner where to stick his new agreement.

Remember: Non Illegitimus Carborundum = Don't let the bastards wear you down. ;)

Meantime I suggest you become thoroughly familiar with DC's rental housing statutes:

2012 District of Columbia Code :: SUBTITLE VII

2012 District of Columbia Code :: Chapter 15

https://www.thelpa.com/free/tenantguidedc.pdf

Washington DC Landlord Tenant Guide

If you have a written lease contract in your hand that specifies your apartment number and the rent amount and is signed by both you and the management or owner then you did have a meeting of the minds and a valid contract and are free to tell management or owner where to stick his new agreement.

Meantime I suggest you become thoroughly familiar with DC's rental housing statutes:

2012 District of Columbia Code :: SUBTITLE VII

2012 District of Columbia Code :: Chapter 15

https://www.thelpa.com/free/tenantguidedc.pdf

Washington DC Landlord Tenant Guide

Thanks kindly

Back