Requesting Deletion of my work from a discord server

B218

Jurisdiction
Other
Hello, I recently had a falling out with another creative who ran a discord server for worldbuilding and dungeons and dragons. I had requested my own section of the server so I could work on my own project amd get feedback. Due to the falling out, I had left the server and blocked him on discord. He reached out to me through telegram saying I had to delete all of the documents concerning his stuff that was on my devices, so I sent proof along with a request for him to delete my stuff from his server since that is my creative ideas that he did not interact with.
If I don't get word from him soon, what do I do? He's petty, but if he wants me to drop everything of his, I want the same done for my stuff.

Since it didn't upload in the original post, here is the part of our last conversation where he requested the deletion of my stuff. The rest of his message is cropped out due to it being personal, non-legal stuff.image-9.png

Minimal, if any. I think he blocked me after his telegram message, so I'd have to get a mutual third party to send the message.
Scratch that. If he doesn't want to settle this out of court by willfully ignoring me (I will be unblocking him on discord so I can send my requests of him deleting my stuff and never acknowledging it ever in his works) I will sue for IP theft.

Scratch that. If he doesn't want to settle this out of court by willfully ignoring me (I will be unblocking him on discord so I can send my requests of him deleting my stuff and never acknowledging it ever in his works) I will sue for IP theft.

Good luck with your lawsuit.

I doubt that some ANONYMOUS dude hiding on the interwebz will worry and fret over some lawsuit.

IP theft of what, exactly? Your ideas? If you are both in the U.S. ideas are not protected from use by others unless you have obtained a patent. You may have a copyright infringement claim if he republishes any images, documents, sound files, etc that you created, but you'd need to first check to see what rights you may have given away by providing that information on discord — read the discord terms of service about that. Copyright cases are expensive to litigate. You have to litigate them in federal court and the rules of procedure and evidence are complex. You'd really need to have an attorney experienced in litigating those claims to have a good shot at winning.

And since you mentioned Telegram, I'm guessing one or both of you are outside the U.S. as the Telegram platform is not all that popular in the U.S. If you two are located in different countries that may make it impossible to successfully pursue the claim, and will increase even more your cost to do it.

When it comes to things like D&D other rpg game scenarios, game mechanics, etc., it is extremely unlikely that what you've developed has much market value. Few fans who develop those sorts of things ever get much more than a token amount of monetary reward from it. That being the case, you'd likely just end up spending a ton of money for nothing.

I've played such games for years and I've seen petty disputes fairly often. Most of the people involved, angry though they are, are sensible enough to just let it go and move on. Those that can't let it go soon discover that they are spending more money than they will ever get back just to make a point to the other guy in the dispute.

I know you said you got this resolved, but I'll respond anyway.

If I don't get word from him soon, what do I do? He's petty, but if he wants me to drop everything of his, I want the same done for my stuff.

In the absence of a contractual agreement that says otherwise, you have no legal right to compel another to delete materials that he legally acquired.

This makes no sense. Nothing was stolen. As I understand what you have written, the materials in question relate to worlds and characters to be used in playing Dungeons & Dragons. Such materials would be subject to copyright law. While you may own the copyrights, there is no claim for copyright infringement for merely possessing another's copyright-protected materials. Unless the terms of use of the server you mentioned give you a right to demand deletion, you've got nothing to pursue here.

Back