Rescinding Oral Lease Before Tenant Moves In

Status
Not open for further replies.

IraN

My jurisdiction is: Pennsylvania

My jurisdiction is: Pennsylvania

I just learned that my elderly mother, who lives alone and is not all together and recently fell for the Grandparent Scam, just rented a room in her house this afternoon to a stranger who knocked on her door (with a friend) and asked if she could rent a room, and that person plans to move in on Wednesday. My mother had not advertised a room for rent. I live 500 miles away and am extremely worried, as that tenant will now have free reign over the entire house and, perhaps, my gullible mother, and we know nothing about her or her friend, other than her name as appears on a drivers license that she showed my mother. Can my mother rescind this oral agreement to rent before this tenant takes possession?

I'm especially concerned about this because my mother last week received a hang-up phone call from the same "Ontario, Canada" caller ID display as she observed when she was scammed out of multiple 000's by the Grandparent Scam.

In your mothers case, this oral agreement can certainly be rescinded. However, you need to be there on Wednesday to turn this person away and not depend on your mother being able to do this.

Sounds like it's time for mom to be moved closer to family members who can help monitor her a bit closer.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back