Rights on a Month to Month lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

asaab00

Hello,
I live in Manhattan in an 4 Bedroom apartment. I am on a month to month, and have been so for 6 years. Nobody in the apartment is on the lease either. The landlord has my name, phone number, and social security, but I never signed any sort of lease. I have a couple of questions/concerns:

-I would like to have my rent lowered since it is too high, can i do that? What's the best way?
-What would happen if I didnt pay rent? What can the landlord do to me legally?

Also, due to the bad economy, I am behind with half a months rent. They have sent me a couple of payment reminders via the mail, but that's about it. If I were to move out, without paying what I owed what could they do to me? My friend said that since it is so expensive to go take someone to court, most likely they won't do anything.

Thanks,

- You can ask. The landlord does not have to comply with your request.

- Your landlord can sue for eviction, then sue again for owed rent.

- Again, if your landlord can find you, they can sue you for owed rent. Will they do this? Sorry; I left my crystal ball in the pants I dropped off at the dry cleaners.

Since you have a tenancy at will (i.e., you are a month to month renter) it seems much smarter to find a less expensive place to live, provide the required notice in writing that you are terminating your lease and do this all legally. An eviction on a credit record would turn off many future landlords from renting to someone.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back