roommate from Hell's stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libera

So I had this roommate from Hell who moved in on July 1. By July 13, she had proved herself a supreme bitch, so I mentioned nicely and casually that we were having a hard time, and I didn't think it was going to work out, but that if she wanted to try to make it work, I was willing. She responded bitchily that she didn't want to be here if I didn't want her here.

To make a long story short (er), she agreed to be out by August 1, as long as I gave her the security deposit for the room right then (July 15) instead of after she left, which is standard procedure. I gave it up however, except for $50 that we agreed I would retain until she handed over the keys on August 1. She also said to me that it would be too much trouble for her to bring her couch, and I could have it. I said I didn't care either way. She said again that I could have it.

I asked that, as I was handing over the security deposit early, would she pack all her stuff up and get it out early, and not be here as much as possible. She said she would pack the stuff in her bedroom, but not her dishes. I offered (nicely) to move her dishes into her bedroom, and she screamed at me not to touch her stuff or she would call the police, etc., etc. So I didn't touch her stuff.

Up until this point (July 15), she had spent maybe a total of 3 nights here, as she spent most of her time at her significant other's apartment. On the 15th,
she began moving her stuff out, and did not sleep, eat, or live here at all. She ended up packing her dishes after all, like around the 17th. By July 18, her stuff was all out, except for that couch, some placemats, a shower caddy, a curtain, a storage bin, and some food in the fridge. Her bedroom was/is completely empty. She had also (by accident, I think) taken some of my forks & spoons.

On July 20th, I received an email saying that the couch and the food in the fridge would be out sometime that week (this would have been last week). I think she maybe forgot about the few other small items she has here.

I emailed her in response that:

1. the Con Ed bill had come (it was $156, but that was mostly me & my air conditioning, as she was only here like 3 nights & 3 days), and for her it would only be $5. I mentioned that I would take it out of the remaining $50 that I owe her.

2. she had taken 4 forks & 4 spoons from me, and please would she return them. If she preferred, I would take $15 (total) for them out of the $50 that I owe her, so

3. if she returned the forks & spoons, instead of $50, I would pay her $45 (because of the Con Ed bill). If she did not return the silverware, I would pay her $30 instead of $50.

I expected that she would either show up to take her couch, food, etc., or email me and set up a time to meet, exchange keys & money, etc. She has not, which is strange I think, because every time she's said she would be here to pick up her stuff, she's been here.

Sorry this message has been so long. I have 2 questions. I'm wondering if she's planning to sue me over the $20 I am charging her for Con Ed + my forks & spoons. Not that I have anything to be afraid of, but I really have spent enough time dealing with her and her screaming and her threats. Perhaps it would be better to just give her back MY $20, along with her $30? Even though I do need that silverware and am low on funds currently. It seems silly though. Is it even possible to take someone to housing court over $20? I suppose I'm being self-righteous too though, making a big deal about $20.

My 2nd question is: assuming she DOESN'T show up, what do I do about her couch, food, placemats, etc., & money? Am I then responsible for getting it to her? She's not answering emails or text messages, and I don't have a mailing address for her. If I am responsible for waiting for her to come & pick up her stuff & money, how long do I wait, before I can throw out her placemats, couch, etc.?

I am confused and afraid of her screaming in my face. Just don't want this anymore.

1) I'd find it hard to believe you'll be sued for $20. Time and money usually prevents such small amounts and usually it occurs only where there is a good case and the principal of the issue is strong.

2) If it were me, I'd wait a reasonable time before disposing of any of her items. I'd have proof of attempted contact, a reasonable response time, and then I might sell the items and hold an amount less my own costs and time involved. If the property owner took me to court, I'd have an excellent defense that is reasonable - what could her argument be?

Just my thoughts and you should first think with a clear mind before making any decisions out of frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back