Roommate Moved Out Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

drae927

My roommate refused to be added to the lease when she moved in (during the middle of my lease), and my landlord was ok with it, and advised me to have her sign a written agreement to protect myself. The agreement included the dates of her occupancy (that she would live there until the end of the lease) and how much she would pay each month for rent and utilities. After a month of living here, she told me she would be moving out by the beginning of the next month (2 months earlier than our written agreement). Our agreement doesn't include anything regarding what should happen if she were to move out early. Is she legally obligated to continue paying rent for the remainder of the written agreement or is she free to leave without paying anything further? Was the written agreement garbage?

Yes; she is legally bound to the terms of the rental agreement she signed. She would owe for the two remaining months on the lease or until another tenant can be found to take her place.

It would be to her benefit to begin looking for another roommate to take her place. You should have some say so on approving anyone she finds.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back