Roommate not on lease threatening me with legal action

Status
Not open for further replies.

delilah1984

Long story, short.
I let a friend of mine move into my home 7 months ago. Agreed she would stay 6 months to get on her feet.
She is bipolar, very unstable, was having a rough time, and just needed a friend at that point. It was agreed upon that she would pay a small monthly rental fee. She has paid twice.
She is now refusing to leave. I have agreed to pay a deposit and first month's rent on an apartment for her. Still she will not go. She has threatened to kill herself in the past.
The problem:
I have some tax issues that she is aware of, and is threatening to get me into legal trouble if I have her legally removed.
She is blackmailing me.
I don't know what else I can do.
I am seriously considering moving out of my own home, and turning off the utilities, to force her out.
What can I do?
I need her out so I can move on with my life.

You can either call her bluff and proceed with the eviction, move out and let the landlord deal with her if she remains (you will likely lose your deposit), or you can do nothing.

She may have some harmful tax related knowledge about you, but she may not know the proper channel to pass that information through. She doesn't sound like someone that is going to have much credibility with law enforcement... she might blab the whole story but it may never be investigated, especially if it is reported to a local PD that doesn't investigate such things.

Thanks for the responses. As far as her credibility, I'm concerned because she is a non practicing attorney, and has some connections.
I'm aware it would be simple to have her evicted, I am just worried about the consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back