Roommate not paying rent - I can't afford to pay 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

katz

I am in a lease agreement with one roommate. Both of our names are on the leases. After the 1st month, he quit paying rent and any additional costs like utilities, etc. I have been paying 100% of everything because I would like to maintain my good credit and avoid getting evicted.

It is getting out of hand because I cannot keep paying 100%. He says he won't leave and has the right to be there because he is on the lease. I am MISERABLE and now I'm pretty much broke. I can't keep living there because I can't afford it on my own. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? Help. :(

You need to bring a small claims suit against him for what he owes you. I'm not certain that you can evict him, but I would try.

Your roommate has got it a bit wrong. He doesn't get to live there rent free simply because he is on the lease. However, since you are paying his share of the rent, he has no incentive to change anything.

Have you discussed this with the landlord? He can be taken off the lease but all parties (including him) would have to agree with this by signing an agreement for such.

Technically you cannot file for eviction since you are not the landlord; however, roommates have done so in states that tend to be landlord friendly (and Texas is one of these states) with a judge never really asking if they are the actual landlord.

Is your landlord willing to evict him for nonpayment of his share of the rent?

Gail

I'm so glad you answered that one, I wanted to see what you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back