Roommate of less than 2 wks, no lease, how can I get them to leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakitah25

Trying out a roommate to see if we could all get along before he signed lease. He moved some of his things in the empty room, a bed and so forth. It didn't work out as we had hoped as he uses drugs and does whatever he pleases without regard to anyone else. He has been there for less than 2 weeks. I asked him to find other arrangements. :(He is refusing to leave without legal action. I am not allowed to sublet per my lease and even if I allowed him to stay he says he wouldn't sign the lease, regardless. What can I do without getting evicted myself?:confused:

You've gotten yourself into quite a pickle here. You could face eviction yourself if the landlord finds out you've breached your lease by subletting. Why did you do this?

At this point, all you can hope for is that a "legal" sounding approach may be the best way to get this roommate out. In the absence of a signed lease, he is considered to be a month-to-month renter (I'm assuming he's supposed to pay monthly). Attached are the landlord/tenant laws in Tennessee, including how to terminate such a notice. If he pays on a weekly basis, how to terminate this type of lease is also included:

http://www.federal-services.com/laws/tnstatelaw.html

Gail

Gail is pretty sharp on landlord tenant so I'm sure she is right in her advice, but I personally would tell him if he doesn't get out now I will call the police and let them search the apartment for drugs and paraphernalia. He'll leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back