Roommate rent sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasham

I was living with a roommate for 7 months in January and our lease was for 9 months. Neither of us discussed

leaving the apartment early, much less leaving the country before our lease was up.
He took a vacation in India in late July and he told me it was for 2 weeks.
I had to also go to India for 2 weeks in the first week of August, expecting him to be back by August 5th or so. I

came back by the 15th.

When I got back, I found he wasn't back in the States. I called him, asking if he was coming back. After many

tries, I finally got ahold of him and was shocked to hear that he wasn't coming back. We still have 1 months on

our lease (I hadn't even given a vacat notice to my landlord, because I thought I was staying here for a longer

time as [er our conversation), and he hadn't paid his part of rent for this 1 month now and I am left with all the

burden.
We both share lease agreement.

Is there any way to make him liable for all these expenses I have incurred, even though he is out of the country?He is planning to come back soon.
I feel a little helpless and frustrated that nothing can be done at my end without some advice.

Thanks

He is liable. Are you jointly on the lease? The landlord may demand the entire rent from you. Unfortunately, the out of pocket loss and burden is probably on you if this is the case. It is likely that the landlord has the right to go after either of you for the entire amount. However, you can discuss the issue with the landlord with regard to security deposit he has paid in order to mitigate the damages, which you might be able to do under the terms of the lease. What is best? Make sure you have a conversation with him and at least send emails with regard to the upcoming rental payments and be sure to make a demand in the event he doesn't respond.

Most important of all - look at your lease. Determine if you are jointly on the lease or separate and it will provide you with your options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back