Roommate Theft, Video Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

brpcraig

One month ago I signed a 6 month lease for a condo; my landlord matched me up with one roommate. After moving and finally getting all settled in I noticed stuff moving in my room. At first I just thought I was paranoid but yesterday my fears were confirmed, the roommate I was matched up with is in fact entering my room when I'm not home.

I discovered this when a key lock door knob I had been consistently using suddenly broke and is now barely working. It appeared as if it was tampered with because when I came home I was able to open it without a key even though I very distinctly remember locking it. I then counted money that I had in a drawer and found that $80 was missing. It was because of this I set my laptop up to record using its web cam. Today was the first day that I had ran it and upon reviewing it I seen that he opened my fully shut door and entered without my permission.

The recording shows him first messing with the handle, even though I had not informed him that it was mysteriously broken. He then moved further into the room, picked up my computer speaker and examined it as if it was a recording device. He then proceeded to look around but did not take anything, shut the door and never came back in.

I am now very confident in my suspicions but have no evidence of him actually taking anything. My goal is to simply get him evicted from the place, ideally brought up on criminal charges but I can live with just an eviction. I have not mentioned anything to my landlord or to him about any of this. I've now cleared everything of value from my room and intend to set him up to actually take something while being recorded.

My question is this, can I get him evicted for entering my room through a closed but unlocked door? If not, is the video enough for me to break my lease if the landlord is unwilling to evict him? I feel that if I go down this road and neither of those options are available, I'm then stuck with him until the end of the lease (talk about awkward). Not only that, he probably will not to try taking anything again, leaving me with no way to set him up.

Your landlord would have to seek the eviction, not you. Take the matter up with your landlord. Inform him of the problem and see what he is willing to do about the roomie.
Also contact your local law enforcement and report the theft. You don't have video of the roomie stealing your money, but you do have a recording of him entering your room without permission. The police can likely get him to admit to the theft with what you have.
With some luck, the roomie will move out voluntarily, if landlord consents, and you can get a new roommate sooner than the eviction would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back